Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sorry 'bout the RSS spam

A few years ago, I decided to start establishing an online presence to help with that whole "personal brand" thing.  As I had recently setup a Windows Live account to take advantage of all that space available from Windows Live Skydrive, I figured I  would just use the provided blogging feature, Windows Live Spaces.

Alas, as even Microsoft has come to recently realize, Live Spaces was a terrible blogging platform.  Lacking easy customization features and a kludgy editing interface made me less than interested in writing posts and it just slowed me down.  Microsoft has corrected this by simply admitting that this isn't their core competency, and there's no shame in that, and moving everyone to Wordpress instead.  I like this move as we use Wordpress to managed the TEDxRochester, so I'm familiar with it and it does seem to be a good platform.  Time will tell, I suppose.

Anyway, on to the apology: as I wrote about in a series of  earlier posts, I use Yahoo Pipes to merge all of my online writing into a single RSS feed that I can then insert into other streams like my Linked In profile or at Facebook.  Unfortunately, I didn't think ahead about this and when I changed the URL from the old Live Spaces to this new blog, my vanity feed re-pulled everything I've posted to date and I inadvertently spammed those profiles, etc.  So, I apologize to everyone for not taking that into account.  I'll keep a closer eye on things going forward!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment