Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ya gotta let the good days just happen

Last night at work I received a frantic call from our babysitter. Her daughter had bonkered herself on the edge of a table and was bleeding profusely. Since my boss is a bit more flexible and my wife was loaded down with appointments at work, I headed out to pick up my daughter.

I arrived to find our other friend covering for the babysitter and my daughter thoroughly engaged in an episode of Wonder Pets in which the team, through teamwork, attempt to rescue a baby chimp from a space capsule before it's hit by a meteor. I won't spoil the episode for you, but it is a nail biter!

We headed out and had a good time talking and singing the Wonder Pets theme when I noticed a giant Tim Horton's cup dancing around in front of the store around the corner from our babysitter's place. Hmmm...what's that on his sign? Free...Iced Cap?!? Oh, hell yeah! We pulled around the corner and into the lot just in time to see employees heading out with a tray full of my favorite icy treat! "You want one?" they asked. Duh!

Back on our journey home, we passed by the airport. Whenever she & I are in the car, I always look out to the northeast as that's where the planes come in from. I've been waiting for a time when I could pull over and let her catch a glimpse of a plane coming in extremely closely, and tonight did not disappoint. I saw something coming in, and it looked like I had enough time, so I raced into the parking lot of the Sugarcreek and jumped out of the car. I pulled her out quickly and stood her up on the trunk of the car with just second to spare before this roared overhead:



Since it's not that clear from the photo, that's a Hercules C-130, one of my favorite military planes. This graceful, prop-powered behemoth was the perfect plane for her first close-up. She practically fell over trying to keep an eye on it and she let out a loud giggle as it roared past. I said "Wow, was that cool or what? You could almost touch it!" "I can touch it?" she asked? Maybe someday, Sweetie, when I take you to your first airshow. :-)

We got home, and once I convinced her she couldn't have chocolate for dinner no matter how many times she said it, we decided on soup. But, we didn't have any that either of us wanted. So, we headed over to my least favorite store, Walmart and grabbed a couple of cans of Chicken & Stars which we shared. Although it was fun introducing her to this childhood favorite, I think we'll wait a while before trying it again. Who knew it could take a two year old an hour and a half to get every last star from the bottom of her bowl...

After dinner, we played for a bit and then got her ready for bed. She went down easily and Daddy headed down to spend some quiet time with his computer before Mommy came home....which had its own levels of fun we'll gloss over... ;-)

Oh, and this finally arrived!!



That's a "Remembrance of the Daleks" Collector's Set. Only available in the UK, our good friend Michelle (the babysitter that started this tale) was able contact family to get it over to me. Ever since I first saw that episode a lifetime ago I've wanted a Special Weapons Dalek, and I'm pretty sure this is the only time it's ever been available in miniature form. SQUEEE!!

Taken together, each of these are minor incidents, but together they made for one hell of a good night. Probably one of the best I've had in a long time. I'm sorry Michelle's daughter had to get five stitches for it to happen, but I certainly wouldn't trade it for anything!

1 comment:

  1. In Alabama, police seized the home of a senior citizen because her yard was used, without her
    consent, for drug dealing. It's not a business, no one receives a salary, and our work
    is supported by voluntary contributions. Or that numerous studies have shown that the undocumented are
    less likely to commit serious offenses.

    ReplyDelete