Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Happy birthday, Carl!

I think it's safe to say we all have defining moments in our lives.  Those moments when something happens that directs the course of the remainder.  The first one I remember came in the latter part of 1980 when I was 10 years old. I was going through the dial on the TV (It was 1980. Yes, it had a dial!) when I glimpsed just a second of this:





"What the heck was that??" I thought. I quickly turned back the dial, but that image of some blob floating around a DNA strand wasn't there anymore. I assumed it must've been on PBS, because even in 1980 none of the major networks had quality programming. I turned back and watched the remainder of a promo for a new series called Cosmos by astronomer, author and poet, Carl Sagan. For the next 13 weeks, you could find me every Tuesday night from 9-10PM eyes glued, unblinking as I stared up at the TV from the floor.

Prior to Cosmos, I was a science geek, sure. But, after Cosmos my life was radically altered. I was introduced so early to the scientific method and critical thinking, how could that not have a profound influence on me? It certainly had an effect on my schooling since I was enrolled in a Catholic school at the time. I found my religion classes to be interminable bores once I learned to apply even basic critical thinking to them...."Really? You really believe that?" was a sentence I found myself quietly asking the nuns as they'd prattle on.





But, this is about Carl, and the impact he had on my life. I learned so much from that first series that I followed along with his other books; The Demon Haunted World and Pale Blue Dot being two of my favorites. In high school, I was fortunate to have taken a class in my senior year called "Science Odyssey" in which we watched Cosmos along with classics from James Burke such as The Day The Universe Changed and Connections. These would be followed up by discussions in later classes along with assignments for reading and further discussion. Never before and never since have my days been filled with conversations like that!

But, then I made the biggest mistake a person can: I decided to take a year off before going to college. Which turned into two, then three, then four...it wouldn't be until 6 years after high school that I'd finally be enrolled in a science program (Cognitive Sciences @ the University of Rochester), but by then it was too late. I didn't have the funds to finish and had to drop out. The saddest part of that time was I found out that Carl Sagan was coming to UofR give a lecture. I found out the day of. That was in 1995 and he died a year later. He would've been 76 today. I did get to see his limo, though. His license plate was "COSMOS".

The Internet will filled with people saying things about Carl and the influence he had on their lives, more likely doing a better job of it than I...most certainly will have probably accomplished a bit more due to his original influence. But, he influenced me as well, and I am thankful to have decided to turn the dial back that day. The lessons I learned I hope to one day pass on to my children, assuming my wife doesn't "artist" them up too much. :) Perhaps they'll one day do great things thanks to those lessons. His wasn't a life lived in vain. Because of his passion and poetic nature, he inspired so many people to enter scientific fields that it is impossible to calculate the good that has been done in his honor.

I leave you with one of my favorite videos. Whenever I am feeling down, or feel that world has gone insane (which happens far too frequently lately), I need only watch this and get the strength to carry on and fight the good fight. Perspective is always important, and there's no better group than astronomers to give it to you!



No comments:

Post a Comment