Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Send Ryan to Europe!

A few weeks ago, my friend Dave asked me to write a recommendation for his son, Ryan. Ryan had applied to be part of the People to People Student Ambassador Program. For some reason, he thought one coming from me would carry some value. Fortunately for Ryan, that plan didn't backfire. :)

I think the best way to sum up would be to simply share my recommendation letter with you:

It is my pleasure to recommend Ryan to your program. When I was asked, I was honored to write this letter for him. But, the reality is anyone who knows Ryan would write you something similar.

I met Ryan approximately 7 years ago, and was immediately impressed with his very high level of intelligence. He was only 6 or 7 at the time, but he handled himself very maturely and was able to participate in conversations fluidly and cogently even at that time. I left that first meeting with him thinking "that kid's going to do some great things!"

As I've watched him grow, he's matured into a fine young man who is inquisitive and talented. His level of empathy and leadership has truly shown since the birth of his younger brother, whom he very patiently teaches and works with regularly. I have no doubt that, thanks to Ryan's mentorship, I will one day be writing a similar letter for little Daniel.

Since I became the licensee for TEDxRochester, Ryan's father has brought him to every event. One would think a 12 year old boy (as he was at the time of the first event) would be uncomfortable in such an environment, surrounded by nothing but adults. But, not Ryan. He thought nothing of walking up to City Council members, business leaders, community leaders, researchers, etc and just struck up conversations left and right. After every event, I always get numerous people asking me "who was that kid?"

In closing, as much as I believe Ryan will benefit from being a part of your program, I also believe the program will benefit from having him.


The reason for this post is that we're now at the hard part...raising funds. Ryan needs about $7000 to make this dream come true and I'd like to see that happen. I know all too well the horrors of fundraising and so am reaching out to my community of friends and partners to assist. This first fundraising, though is an easy one: he's asking folks to donate their returnable bottles and cans and he'll use the funds from that. If you're willing to donate, message me privately and we'll work out the logistics.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment